I figure NOW is as good as time as any to delve a bit deeper into why the f$$k am I writing a daily blog!?
I'll sum it up in a list format:
1. DAILY RITUAL. Covid Era is so Fu$$ing crazy and OFF-CENTERING, that having daily rituals is very grounding to me.
2. FACING PERFECTIONISM. I have always been a perfectionist when it comes to writing (and many other things I do, also...) so writing a daily blog forces me to battle my perfectionism. Having to put something out there - good, bad, personal, raw, work in progress... is the most efficient way I have found to train my inner perfectionist to shut up and let me go to work!
3. CREATIVITY. I love creative writing. Let me say that again: I LOVE creative writing. But when I write work to be produced like screenplays or plays... it can be heavily practical and even formulaic to some degree, so keeping an outlet that gives me the freedom to write creatively ONLY - is awesome.
4. MASTERING. To be a master in something, it's been said that you want to practice it every day. I dig that. And as I wear many other hats in my life: I'm an actress, a VO artist, a jeweler and a business owner... some days my writing takes a backseat and at least I have this daily blog to keeps my muscles intact.
5. SHARING. I've been creatively writing pretty much since I learned how to write. BUT - my perfectionism, self doubt and protectiveness of my words have kept me from sharing them. I believe finding your voice, and speaking it out loud - is an integral part of the human experience. So I share myself, here. Wether my words are read or not at all - the act of sharing makes me feel more brave and more connected to other human beings, and if someone gets to have an experience reading my words - well that's even better!
6. MY WAY. Sometimes I write posts that could be on some social media outlet. BUT, they're not. They're here on a website in a medium and page that I have full control on (Yes yes I am well aware any sort of control is merely an illusion...) and I don't need to follow a word count or guidelines. Here on a site I created (let's not get too carried away with my skills here - I was only using a template and it's much easier than it looks) I have more freedom and I don't need to play into the algorithms of the different social media giants. Writing this blog on my own site and in my own way - strips away a lot of the BS that takes such a front seat in my life already as a user of all the social media time suckers!
7. BECAUSE. Because I want to. Because I enjoy it. Because I DO.
Sometimes the most simple answer is the most crucial one.
In April 2020, while experiencing her first ever global pandemic, Tamar Pelzig pledged to write something every day, even if it's only a word, so she welcomed to the world a daily blog to keep her creative writing wheels rolling.
Header Art: Daniel Landerman